My contribution to the best of 2007 foodblogger’s recipe collection. Short english translation of a post, originally written in german: An easy vegetable terrine, something for the feast repertoire, not difficult to make at all. And even on the day before.
1 red, 1 yellow pepper skinned with the peeler
1 leek medium size
1 handful of small-broccoli florets, 1-2 carrots cut into small pieces, 1 handful of peas. These 3 vegetables can also be taken from a frozen vegetable mixture.
for the royale:
1.2 dl cream (25% fat)
1 whole egg (62g)
Pepper, salt or an organic vegetable paste
for the chives-sauce:
100 g sour-cream or curd
1 bunch of chives
Salt, pepper, lemon peel
(1) Lay out terrine form (Staedter triangle, 450 ml) with food-wrap (Saran).
(2) Cut leeks (from the green part) in about 20 cm long leaf pieces, blanch about 3 minutes in boiling salted water, chill in cold water. Then split each sheet with a thin knife into two layers that are only half as thin as the original leaf. Dry leaves with kitchen paper.
(3) Lay out the terrine with the leek-leaves. It’s easy with the help of a Plastic-card.
|split leak-leaves||Lay-out split leak-leaves into terrine|
(4) slice peppers with a suitable peeler and cut in long, broad stripes. Blanch the pieces about 4-5 minutes in boiling salted water. Chill in cold water. Dry the pieces with kitchen paper, then cut most of them in about 7-10 mm wide, long stripes. Set aside.
(5) Blanch other vegetables, cut into small pieces, or use frozen vegetables from a mixture.
(6) Prepare Royale: mix the egg with the cream.
(7) Coat the leak-leaves in the form with the Royale. Then overlay the walls of the terrine with the stripes of the peppers. Alternate with colours. Fill in the remaining vegetables into the terrine.
|Overlay walls of the terrine with peppers||Fill terrine with the ramining vegetables|
(8) Pour out the royale into the terrine. Beat terrine on the table, so that the royale can fill out the spaces. Cover the top of the terrine with pepper stripes, cover with the leak leaves and the food-wrap and close the terrine with the lid.
(9) cook terrine 1 hour in a water bath in an oven at 160 ° C. Water temperature at least 90-95 ° C. Height of water bath 3/4 of the terrine height.
(10) remove terrine, and allow to cool overnight in the refrigerator.
|Terrine filled. Covered with peppers||Terrine in the watherbath in the oven|
Take out the vegetable terrine from the form, remove food-wrap and cut terrine into pieces. Serve with the chives-sauce.